2% Kojic acid Serum is well known to naturally lighten the skin. It’s used to treat skin conditions, such as sun damage, scars, and age spots. Kojic acid works by blocking tyrosine from forming, which then prevents melanin production. Decreased melanin production may have a lightening effect on the skin. Licorice root is recognized for brightening the skin and its ability to even out skin tone, making it an especially treasured ingredient in their beauty rituals. Consistent use of licorice extract over time has been known to fade dark spots and blemishes and lighten skin. It can also reverse the darkening of scars.
- Anti-aging effect: Products containing kojic acid may lighten the skin, which can improve the appearance of age spots and sun damage. The reduction of dark spots can have an anti-aging effect.
- Treat melasma: Kojic acid may also be helpful in decreasing melasma, which is darkening of the skin due to pregnancy.
- Decrease the appearance of scars: Kojic acid may also reduce the discoloration of scars. Although the acid does not improve the thickness of scar tissue, it may reduce dark pigmentation associated with certain types of scars. Lightening the scar may make it less noticeable.
- Antifungal benefits: It is also thought to have some antifungal benefits. It may be helpful in preventing and treating certain fungal infections, such as athlete’s foot and yeast infections.
- Antibacterial effects: It also provides antibacterial benefits. It may help decrease the chances of developing common types of bacterial skin infections.
Why is Kojic Acid Important?
The science behind how kojic acid works as a lightening agent involves its effect on melanin production.
Melanin is a naturally occurring pigment in the body that gives the eyes, hair, and skin their color. An amino acid called tyrosine is needed to support the production of melanin. Kojic acid works by blocking tyrosine from forming, which then prevents melanin production. Decreased melanin production may have a lightening effect on the skin.
Tip: Top it up with our 2% Hyaluronic Acid + Ceramide
Please note that all serums can sometimes create irritations for people with very sensitive skin or uncommon allergies. Always test the product on a small area before using it, ideally behind an ear or under the chin. Allow 24 hours to measure skin sensitivity to the product.